Sunday, 15 July 2012

What are words?

A love that stands the test of time. Don't we all want that?

I never heard the story of Chris Medina till today when my boyfriend played his song "What are word?" for me. I then decided to watch the video in my spare time and I was pretty speechless; moved to tears. It's pretty amazing the things people go through in life. 

He sang this song for his fiancee who just suffered a brain injury from a car accident. I love how the video changes scenery from the day he proposed to her to him pouring out his heart through each note in the studio to the very last scene; where she's sitting in her current state and he's right there holding her hand. This song touches your heart, it moves something within you, maybe even to tears and if it didn't go check yourself -_-

The words 'I love you' we're so quick to declare but just how much do we mean them? 1 Corinthians 13 paints a pretty clear picture of what love is; Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it is not proud, it does not dishonour others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.. even non Christians know this passage. Is love hard? hell YES and that is why it is not for the faint hearted.

It is so easy for us to say the words; make those promises but how many of us are willing to 
follow it to the last letter. 'I'll always be there for you'... and what happens when someday they are confined to a wheel chair? what happens when life snatches the rug from beneath you and you come crashing down? what happens when he loses all his wealth and influence? And when she can't give birth? Will you still be there? I can't imagine how hard it is on him, watching the beautiful woman he fell in love with sit helplessly there; the mental torture, the physical torture and yet he stays. To quote him "Brain injuries just scoop the life out of you... but that doesn't necessarily mean you just give up all hope."


I hope like Chris one day you'll be able to say
"Every single promise I'll keep
'Cause what kind of guy would I be
If I was to leave
When you need me the most?"


Love,
B


2 comments:

  1. Nice piece, true facts , hard to practice . Love it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. Thank you, I know and that's why I pointed out that true love is not for the faint hearted

      Delete