Friday, 12 October 2012

Focused

It's a Friday night, status' being updated to T.G.I.F, bags packed for a weekend get away, girls in high heels and make up reading to dance the stress away, guys ready to 'set that P', happy hour and people drinking and chatting merrily away, cheers to the freakin' weekend right? And where am I in all this? In the library, in a study room, I have four books spread open in front of me and a stack on the other side, a drained bottle of energy drink and my notepad with scrawled notes.


I could be out with friends, I could also be at club bed, with DJ Teddy and the best bartender in town; my fridge. But I'm here, not because I'm one of those nerds but because I've got tons of work to do from case studies to presentations to my dissertation. You see I'm in my final year and I'm determined to get good grades. Most people would say they are doing it for their parents. Sadly I'm not doing it for mine. Not because I don't want to make my parents proud because trust me I do. Did I mention I'm an African? Nigerian for that matter and my father would beat me mercilessly if I fail. It's not even a coincidence that my surname is 'Bilala" often affiliated with the hausa word 'bulala' as a joke which means 'beatings' *shivers*. Oh and if I fail my father would also make me refund him all the money he has spent on my education, let's not even calculate that.

No I'm actually working my ass off for me. Because I won't be disappointing my family if I don't do good, I'll be disappointing myself the most. I know what I'm capable of and I also know that I can push myself to limits never reached, so I'll be disappointed the most knowing that I could do all that and I didn't even try as hard as I should have. Plus like the Nigerian parents say "the people who came first don't have two heads" so I know I can do this. Okay back to studying.

Laters,
B

Yes unfortunately I am losing my mind 


5 comments:

  1. Lol Bondi read your books oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO at your dad making you refund him. Deep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you have no idea and he would actually do it :(

      Delete
  3. I feel you. self disappointment is the worst. Don't worry if your determined and you work as hard you're already doing then you would definitely succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it is the worst form of disappointment. Thanks for the advice

      Delete