Sunday, 17 November 2013

Do You Still Dream?


At four I dreamed of becoming a singer
all the hours I spent singing into my mum's hairbrush
off key and off beat but I didn't care, it was my dream

At seven I dreamed of being an actress
All the tantrums that I threw earning myself the title 'drama queen'
practising sceneries in my head at the most random times

At nine I wanted to be a teacher
probably because I wanted a chance to punish the kids of those classmates who had offended me
or just because I liked the feeling of being in charge

At eleven I dreamed of becoming a model
I spent hours flipping through glossy magazines
practising poised moments in every mirror I came across
the glamour, the clothes, the luxury, I wanted it all

At thirteen I dreamed of being an entertainer
No episode of Oprah Winfrey's show escaped by me
Nor did any of Tyra Bank's

At fifteen I dreamed of being a neurosurgeon
Inspired by Ben Carson, I wanted to save lives
till chemistry kicked my ass and sent me packing to a different dream

At sixteen I dreamed of being a wedding planner
to make every girls dream of having a fairytale ending come to pass
and mostly because I enjoyed planning events

Then I grew up
and I stopped dreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment