Tuesday, 14 January 2014

What 2013 Taught Me


So this post might be a little over due, at least it's here. Sorry for the hiatus from blogging, I went home to Nigeria and had the busiest break. Should have been a break but I found myself driving from one event to another. Plus my friend got married!! I shall be posting pictures soon.

Anyways a new year is here again and I've been reflecting on my 2013 which was very eventful. I learned so much last year.

I learnt that sometimes you make mistakes, huge ones that could shatter your world and probably make you doubt your identity. But it's okay cause everyone needs this wake up call at some point in their life. And it's okay to cry and hurt because eventually you will heal.

I also learnt that family is the most valuable possession during that period, after your faith that is. I also learnt that not every friend is your friend. Well I always knew that, but when you have something devastating happen to you how many people can you openly tell without being judged? It got me reevaluating my friendships.

Like Madea said, some people are only in your life for a season. Last year I thought I was in love, made some stupid decisions to go along with that too. Careful what you make of love, lest it ruins you.

I learnt to value secret escapes. All the vacations I took came during challenging periods and it made me realise that there's nothing wrong with running away from your problems once in a while. As long as you come back to solve them. Everyone needs a break at some time or the other.

Most importantly I learnt that it's not the destination that counts but the journey. Everyone is a rush to get somewhere, do something and then it happens but we don't get the satisfaction we desire. I finished my undergrad but didn't feel half as satisfied as i thought I would, if anything it left me feeling empty. And then I regretted not doing so many things like taking a year abroad, mixing up with international students, taking more trips and exploring more cultures. Well except my second year, I felt more accomplished that year. So for my lat academic year/masters I've vowed to enjoy the journey and every other journey after that.

Oh well this might not make any difference to any one, truth is I can't sleep so I'm blogging instead... Anyhoo let's see what 2014 teaches me

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment