Saturday, 21 June 2014

I'm Zealous of My Pain


My Pre-order of Letters to the Men I Have Loved by Mirtha Michelle finally came in the post. I've been looking forward to this book ever since I read her poem, There, I Still Will Be. I fell in love with her instantaneously. Rarely do I ever connect with an author but from the first page of her book it feels like I'm reading out of my diary. It's amazing, knowing that someone else gets it. You know when you read something and it just gets you, every word, every detail. That's how I feel about this book so far. It's actually inspired me to start writing my memoirs, not sure when I'll share or if i'll share but there's a poem from the book I want to share. Unfortunately pre-orders are no longer available but the book would be available on other platforms from June 30th. It's worth a read.

There are a lot of things I wish I could share from the book but that would defeat the whole purpose if I gave everything away. Sometime last year I went through something and somehow the pain felt liberating. And then I read this poem and it felt like it was written right out of my experience.

I like pain.
No I'm not a masochist.
I like pain, because it's necessary for growth.
I've gotten to know parts of me,
I didn't know existed.
I have felt things that only my tears know.
With those tears I have liberated myself,
From hurt, shame and fears.
I have become a real woman through pain.
So yes,
I need pain.
About the same way I need love.
My soul has become more beautiful through pain.
I'm zealous of my pain.
-MMCM
Simple and straight to the point. What was it John Green wrote about pain again?
"That's the thing about pain... it demands to be felt"

Speaking of J.G, have you gone to see The Fault in our Stars? Any thoughts? I've read the book but I'm yet to see it in motion picture.

1 comment:

  1. I want to read this book so bad!!! It looks really good .

    ReplyDelete