Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Don't Grow Up, There's No Coming Back


Being a grown up is overrated. I watch my little sister try soo hard to be older than she is and I pity her. I was like her once, wanted to be a grown up and have my freedom, freedom to make my own decisions. But being an adult is the hardest thing. As a child, my biggest issues revolved around what dress to wear to church and what channel to watch in the day and silly math homework. As an adult you take on responsibilities. You have to go to school, get good grades, get a job. Pay the bills. Pay the rent. Look after yourself. Look after others. And when you make mistakes, no one necessarily scolds you, life deals with you adequately. And then you long for the days when you were swatted on the bum cause that sure was better. 

As an adult no one tells you what to do, no one corrects you cause you're an adult. You're supposed to know. If you screw up, hey that's your fault. So I watch her long for her freedom but that's her biggest imprisonment and she doesn't even know it. She's going to be a slave to her own choices. You either get it right or you don't. I'm still growing and making mistakes. While she wishes to be like me, an adult, I long for the good ol' days of being a kid and getting scolded.

The worst part about being a grown up? No one tells you about the responsibilities, they get bigger and more intense with time. And the bigger the responsibility, the bigger the mistake. But it's okay to make mistakes, at least that's what I tell myself on the days I feel overwhelmed. It's okay to make mistakes, they may be painful but they are the only way to find out who you really are. 

2 comments:

  1. you know this!!!!!! the troubles of early twenties! men growing up is a trap! decisions, plans, steps......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it truly is a trap. I hope we get the hang of it eventually so we don't keep feeling this way xxx

      Delete