Monday, 20 October 2014

My First Month Back


There's no place like home, it's what they say but I'm yet to feel this way. It's been a month and even though transitioning hasn't been that bad, it hasn't been pleasant either. I know I've been posting a lot less but I'm yet to get internet set up in my home. So far a lot has changed that everything remains the same.

When I left home I was still a child, a teenager but I saw the world in a very microscopic view. I've been out there and back and with a more exposed mind I'm still very saddened at how far behind we are as a nation. Nonetheless, I still have hope for my home and I won't be one of the people who fold their legs, sit back and complain without going out to change the situation. After all, you have to be the change you want to see in the world. 

So far these are the things I've picked up that could probably help others moving home;

  • When making your budget, include "shake body" in your list. This is the money you give to the police officials/traffic wardens, workers etc who stop you or harass you. Just yesterday at the airport, my sister was joking with a lady who ended up making her "shake body", so she turns to my mum and I and say "ah you can't joke for free in this country oh". This is true, once you seem approachable, they grow more confident in their request to shake body.
  • There are a lot of angry people walking these streets, don't let them steal your power. Smile when you approach the desk and say your 'thank yous' and 'please'. I know the temptation to be rude back would persist but remember you're accountable for your actions and not theirs. 
  • Don't beat the traffic light in certain areas like the Wuse 2, Asokoro, Maitama etc (places with offices/prestigious homes) if you don't want to end up at the 'mobile court' or pay for what you didn't bargain for. I've been there twice, not good -_-
  • The system answers mainly to two things- beauty and money. It's sad, I know but it is what it is. I've seen this one too many times and it's unfair because it's not an attitude that would help us progress nor is it fair and just. 
  • Drive with your car doors locked, might seem silly or naive but I've heard of one too many strange people jumping into cars with others, especially when you're young because they feel they can overpower you and steal the car. 
Ok so maybe I've learnt that much on my move home but there's still more to learn. I've made up my mind to stay positive and enjoy the process, even NYSC, although I just ran away to Dubai x_x. You can't blame me, there's only so much one can take...

If anything interesting happens, I'll be sure to update you. Would anyone like to share their moving back experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment