Monday, 1 December 2014

Smile December


Happy new month beautiful darlings (hopefully not talking to myself here). It's a new month and the beginning of the end of 2014. How marvellous isn't it? That we all started this year and we are here to witness the end. To all the loved ones we've lost this year, may their souls rest in peace. 

For some, December is a cheerful month with the holidays around the corner. You can't deny we all love Christmas and the spirit it brings plus the message. Sadly for others, it is just another weary month. A month to worry about all the debts they've incurred or are about to incur. All the expenses in the name of the holidays. For some it's a frustrating month while for another set of people it's another period to be reminded of their loneliness and what's going on wrong in their lives. Many lives are also lost this period and so instead of celebrating some are left to mourn. 

Last year, we did the Random Acts of Kindness challenge but this year I want to propose the Smile Challenge. It's so simple, it's almost impossible to not participate. It wouldn't take a dime from you, not your time nor your energy. All it involves is wearing a smile all day from December 1st to 31st. I've noticed that Nigeria is a place filled with scowling, frustrated people and I've gotten more positive reactions from people when I smile than with my physical appearance or status. It's such a refreshing thing for them, when I smile and I'm polite and courteous. Isn't it sad that a smile and politeness is like gold in our country? So why don't we all push to smile more together. Greet that guard or cleaner with a smile. Smile at the clerk regardless of your status or whether you've been on the queue for two hours. You don't know their personal struggle and a smile could just about be the best thing that has happened to them in a while. 

And you'll be surprised that your gift of a smile will go a long way than that of material goods. Here's a little passage from "How to Win Friends and Influence People" to summarise my point,

"Your smile is a messenger of your good will. Your smile brightens the lives of all who see it. To someone who has seen dozen people frown, scowl or turn their faces away, your smile is like the sun breaking through the clouds. Especially when that someone is under pressure from his bosses, his customers, his teachers or parents or children, a smile can help him realise that all is not hopeless- that there is joy in the world."* -Dale Carnegie

Let's smile and change someone's mood :)


2 comments:

  1. This has to be one of my favorite posts plus I just thank someone for making me smile!

    ''I have many problems in my life but my lips don't know that, they always smile'' - Charlie Chaplin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Aminatu. Glad you like the post. Looking forward to being blessed by your smile :) xx

      Delete