Monday, 16 May 2016

Dealing With Setbacks


I'm going to be honest with you, my life isn't going the way I envisioned it. But whose life ever goes as planned right? We all have boxes we set to tick as we go along life, Undergraduate✓, Postgraduate✓, NYSC✓, Job✓, Marriage✓, Kids✓, Retirement✓. 

But what happens when you're stuck at a particular stage and it just feels like there's no progress, I mean for me, life was going as planned, I was done with university at a really good age and I finished my youth service last year October and so I thought the smooth sailing would continue. But it's been 7 months and I've still not landed my dream job. I did an internship with an NGO for three months, which was great but now I'm back where I started and it feels like when will I get a job that I know I'll someday complain about? Aren't humans funny? We disturb God's ears with pleas of a request, then we get it and we disturb him with constant complaints. Just makes me appreciate God more, that He loves me so much to deal with my short comings. 

Anyways today was one of those morning where I woke up blue, feeling like "looky there, another Monday and you don't have work to go to". I was lying in my bed about to throw myself a pity party and invite depression, anxiety and comparison to the party but it's really amazing how God doesn't give up on us just yet. Somehow I got the idea to start singing worship songs to get the mood started and have my devotions. So there I am singing the songs that come to mind and then I decided to get up and read my devotional. I use two; Our Daily Bread and Love Out Loud by Joyce Meyer. ODB talked about getting godly counsel, I was like ok good and moved on to LOL and that's where I got my logos from. I decided to share because maybe someone needs it like I did. 


"When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, thought that was shorter. For God said, "if they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt"  Exodus 13:17

No matter how carefully you plan your progress in any area of your life, you will have setbacks. That's part of the journey. Successful people are able to press through difficulty and delay and get right back on track without wasting time, feeling bad about themselves, or losing momentum. 

Having a bad day doesn't mean you have to have a bad life. Don't be like the Israelites in today's scripture who wanted to return to Egypt everytime they had a bad day while travelling toward the Promised Land. You are being freed from the bondage of egypt and heading toward the Promised Land, where God's purposes and promises will become realities in your life, but you will have days in the desert. When that happens, don't be too hard on yourself. 

Be nurturing and supportive of yourself, as you would of anyone else you love. Remind yourself that ten steps forward and one step backward still gets you where you're going (ding! ding! ding! voila I got my logos). Celebrate your successes, even small ones, and it will help you press pass your setbacks. 

Consider writing down your victories as you have them. Keep a journal of your journey and record your little successes and include the lessons you're learning along the way and the good experiences you're having. When you have a discouraging day or one when you feel you've done everything wrong, read your journal. You may be amazed at how far you've come!"

Isn't it awesome how God talks to us through different ways. My day went to a hundred real quick by the time I was done reading my devotional. I mean off the top of my head, if I'm noting down my successes, I've done really well in life. I have two good degrees from good universities, i have 3 diploma certificates in Fashion Journalism, Lifestyle Journalism and Project Management. I can speak French, I took one of the hard level diploma exams and I was the second highest, the first was an Ivorian lady, who speaks french already and she was only higher than me with 1.5%, if that's not something to celebrate, I don't know what else is. Above all, I have God and I have His word with His promises to take care of me and His amazing plan to prosper me and give me a future and a hope. Plus, I also know that God honours His word above His name so as long as I rest assured on those promises, I know they will come to pass. I feel so liberated and I'm definitely going to get me a progress journal and record my progress in every area of my life.

This was a lengthy write up and probably an even lengthier read for someone but I really felt compelled to share and I hope someone gets liberated through these words. Have a beautiful day.

xoxo
B

(Ps: If you have any recommendations or advice/tips on how to deal with setbacks, I'd love to hear from you xxx)

14 comments:

  1. awww I love this. You go girl! Delay isn't denial, we can take it as time to steady ourselves, have a solid foundation in God and improve ourselves before we get in to the real workplace, where there's hardly time for ourselves. Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terngu, glad could share with you xxx

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it's really easy to plan out our lives and then try to convince God that our plan is best. I have learned that trust is just as important as faith, we need to hold on that God hasn't forgotten us and wants what is good for us. We might not like His means but we must know He always means well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Unknown, wish your identity wasn't hidden, you sound like a wise person xx

      Delete
  3. I really understand what you are going through but you have God so trust that everything is going to be perfectly fine. I was once in your shoes where I was looking for a job and couldn't find any because I was choosing the exact type of job I wanted. The moment I decided whatever comes my way I will take it I began receiving offers. Also prior to that I was volunteering my services at different places and that was how I got offered. What I would advice is that you get out there and apply to different positions. Being out there is better than being at home. You may get noticed and you will land your dream job. Also network with whoever comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Starlyne. Thank you so much for the practical advice, I am already volunteering but I can do better. And I'm ashamed to say that I've been focused on the kind of job I want, I need to be more open minded about all jobs irrespective of my educational background. I appreciate the reminder and would definitely do the necessary. Thank you xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh my God! We almost going through the same phase, my soothing balm has been my hope in God, constantly reminding myself that he is a good father and he would always, ALWAYS take care of us, he knows what we need and what concerns us and he is not hesitant to provide. It helps me not compare with my mates who seem to have this great life going on for them, i tell myself if or whenever am ready for it God will do it and not withhold. regardless i pray for the release of my blessings and i try to work on the things i want to do, little by little but hopefully will get there soon. We will be fine Bondi, its just the 20s crisis lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I like that! 20s crisis. Thanks a lot Ellen. It's easy to forget sometimes just how good God is and I do that as well. Not just pray about it but remind myself that there's a box of blessings with my name on it so I need to stop staring at someone else's package before I miss mine. It's not that easy but God dey. We'll make it. xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Bondi, you know, to limit the time I spend on the internet, I stopped reading all other blogs except yours.
    Other blogs do have fun things, things that might interest me or things I can benefit from, but I'm content with yours, there is just something about it... thank you.
    After NYSC, I stayed at home for 7 months before getting a job. People kept saying I was lucky I'd a job that early, (imagine, after 7 months, when I was already tired/depressed).
    Today, your post made me change my perspectives regarding my job. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Aminatu! Thank you so much for the loyalty! I'm so humbled and honoured at the same time, God bless you. I hope you're enjoying your job now and yeah I can understand people's POV, I've been meeting people who waited for a year plus to get a job so I guess you really were lucky haha. xxx

      Delete
  6. Danjuma Sunsuwa18 May 2016 at 15:01

    A different perspective on life might help us deal with setbacks and challenges sometimes. Check this article http://www.businessinsider.com.au/hunter-s-thompson-on-finding-meaning-2014-5

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a timely read. So, I'm up so late feeling depressed and all. Lost my job and haVe been searching for 9months now. Somehow I stumble on your blog (I used to follow you religiously before now). I just wanted to say thank you for making yourself available through writing. I enjoy reading your blog ( I've been playing catch up all night) but this particular one hit me in all the right places. God bless you Bondi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ama, awww I'm so sorry to hear about the job loss but remember God has a plan, nothing just happens, it's all for a purpose. Don't be discouraged, something even better is going to come and I can't wait to rejoice with you when it does. Thanks for following my blog religiously, I appreciate you dearly. Stay blessed xxx

      Delete