Thursday, 25 May 2017

Lost in the Pages


What happens when you go through a life changing situation? Do you let the pain absorb you and then move on or shove it off like it never happened?

I'll tell you what I did, I lost myself in the pages of a book because that's what I've always done. I've found myself go numb one too many times and picked up a book to escape the reality...

And what a good escape it's always been, being able to get your mind off everything that's going wrong in your life and focus on a story that ends in 420 pages...

And so I read... and the more I get wrapped in the story of another person's life, the further I run from dealing with the issue at hand. Some may find relief in the bottom of a tequila bottle but for me, I found relief in the pages of a book. The problem with that is, maybe I've lost touch with reality like I've been accused of one too many times. I've forgotten what's real and what isn't because I've found myself engulfed in the mirage of a perfectly written story of a 16 year old who found true love so young or a woman who got to travel the world and learn about herself in each city. And the problem with that is, it makes you think that you can to, till you stare out the window and the scorching sun of Abuja yanks you back to reality...

What can I say? I'm just a dreamer who keeps being hit with the harshness of reality

Does anyone else get lost in the pages of a book as a coping mechanism?

No comments:

Post a Comment